Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 6: The Bay

The Bay (2012)

'The Bay' on Netflix

A serious gripe I want to get off my chest, now that the found footage genre is officially a genre:  tell us when it's found footage genre.  It's not that I'm tired of it; a little innovation thrills me, in fact, but if I have to watch professional cameramen pretend to be shaky-handed amateurs instead of a film shot on a ten thousand dollar camera, warn me in advance, dammit.

Although, this film might be more of amateurs being amateurs without the ten thousand dollar camera.  Doesn't matter. When a film makes you miss James Cameron's cinematography work, it's time to discuss quality vs. quantity.

Strange narration style.  The main character/narrator is awkward in her delivery, and it's either the actress or the director's fault. I don't care either way, to be honest, but character says they should have hired a professional to narrate the footage.  I agree.

Make-up effects aren't bad.  Actors aren't awful.  Dialogue is stilted because it tries too hard to be natural and off the cuff.

It's just... this could have been a great story.  Remove the preachy Greenpeace tone about pollution and the evil of human works, carve the clunky parts out, and make the experts more like actual experts.

When I shifted my Roku to free a DVD mid-movie, it cut out and flashed a "content disabled' warning in a 1980s emergency broadcast style font... it's too bad that wasn't part of the film.


Here, have a palate cleanser.  I give you Mike Rowe vs. giant bells:



Would I watch it again? No.
Would I own it? Oh god no.


No comments:

Post a Comment