Monday, October 28, 2013

Day 22: The Rig

The Rig (2010)

The Rig on Netflix Streaming

Not a high budget film.  Which is not to say it's awful.  The biggest aspect that bothers me isn't the acting, or the script, or the monster, or the editing.  It's the cinematography, which, hey, cameras are expensive.  Even to rent.

The use of "Figlio Perduto" ups my opinion of this film automatically.  It might sound like a cliche, the use of classical music and/or opera in the middle of a film crisis, but much of it was written to convey just that.  We lose the message when it turns into just a pretty song, but violins can evoke better emotion than Coldplay.

I like this one for it's simple charm.  Level it down to TV movie, and it's great.  It's less ridiculous than the Syfy movies of late.  It can't stand up next to big budget Hollywood, and it's unfair to even try to do that. It's not even trying to be artistic.  It's just a monster movie to kill an hour and a half with.

And if you want an actual review of this, with a tidy summary, Rotten Tomatoes has that.  I'm not really here to review these films other than to lift out details that stand out to me, and parse some meaning into them, even if it means savaging them.  (I'm looking at you, Ti West.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go put on some Ravel, backlight myself with a red lightbulb, and smile serenely at the cars passing by.


Would I watch it again?  Nah.
Would I own it? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment