Thursday, October 3, 2013

Day 3: Dead Space: Downfall

Dead Space: Downfall (2008)

This is a tougher one to break down.  There are two perspectives: those who have played the Dead Space games, and those who have not. I'm making an effort here-- more so than usual-- to keep spoilers out of what I say for the n00bs, and anyone still hot to be surprised by the game canon.  I'll try to skew towards the POV of those who haven't played the games, but full disclosure?  I'm very familiar with the games. Love 'em. Ask me about my favourite necromorph.

Also, and let get this out of the way, this film is animated.  But it is not for the kids.  Nope.  Nopenopenope.

Sci-fi and horror, life in space and monsters.  Catnip for people like me.  A nice little mystery covered in blood, and if this is your first exposure to the Dead Space universe, you don't know what's coming.  And for that, I envy you a little bit.  The creators of this universe don't play to campy tropes, and to learn that for the first time?  Jealous here.  And if you're like me, and know exactly why characters are losing their minds and lives left and right, you can't help but anticipate the messy, apocalyptic, gory action.

Strong female roles and a nice take on the paranoid perils of space, this film can stand by itself as a part of the bigger story, and while the bodycount is high (so very high), these characters are not so easily forgotten.  Just-- a quick tip from the gamer side-- don't get attached to anyone not named Isaac Clarke.  (And you won't meet him in 'Downfall.')

If this is your first trip onto the Ishimura, good luck, you'll need it.  If you're an old pro at the limb cleaving, grab a plasma cutter, and stay the hell away from the Marker.

Would I watch it again?  Infrequently, but it's a nice second choice when you want more plot than shooting gallery.
Would I own it?  Eventually, since it's not likely to hit Netflix/Hulu rotation anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment