Monday, October 28, 2013

Day 23: Ghost Ship

Ghost Ship (2002)

I have a soft spot for Dark Castle remakes of William Castle films-- with the loud exception of "Gothika"-- and on the gore factor, they surely don't leave us wanting.

You could honestly watch "Ghost Ship" just for the beginning and credits, turn it off, and call it good for a splatterpunk fix.  But then you'd be missing out.  I like this one.  I always have.  This and "House on Haunted Hill," two faves that never get old.  Gabriel Byrnes and Geoffrey Rush.  Two heavies leading messy stories of crazy supernatural shit, with some nice humour embedded, a taste for atmosphere, and some real talent with score and soundtrack.

These are the kind of horror films I'd make.  Slickly filmed and tightly scripted, just enough characterisation to connect to the characters, just enough gore-- and just enough exploitation of the gore.

And we're not even touching on the backstory of the Ferryman.  Linger on him awhile, the whole complex mythos that exists behind his presence, and how wild it'd be to know we had that in our world.

No wilder than normal, probably.  A few more jokes about crossing the River Styx, maybe.

I'll leave it at this: not everyone will love this film.  But I do, and it's at least worth one watch.   It'll never be a classic, but Gabriel Byrnes and homicidal ghosts make for a good evening's entertainment.


Would I watch it again?  Yes.
Would I own it? Already do.

No comments:

Post a Comment