Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Day 28: Hunger

Hunger (2009)

Hunger on Netflix Streaming

It's definitely schadenfreude that I chose this film to watch as catch-up after deciding on dinner. Dinner which I'm now plowing into.  Sorry, characters.  You make your tough, cannibalistic choices, and I'm going to eat re-heated kubideh and rice. Yum.

A low-budget film, but a well done one.  Part of the Fangoria Frightfest, one of the few I enjoy enough to watch again.

And it is pretty standard, plot wise.  Mysterious stranger captures a group of strangers and tests them.  Forces them to violence, often against each other, and clearly enjoys it.

What catches my attention is the mix of grim reality, and the application of beauty.  Again, with the choice of classical music to capture the tone, reminding jaded modern ears that it's not all elevator music.

This is nothing new.  But there is nothing new in the world. All ideas are built on each other.  To directly copy an extant idea is one thing, a lazy thing, but to take the core of the idea and expand on it in another way, another direction, is the essence of creativity.


Would I watch it again?  Yes.
Would I own it?  Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment